Current H!GhL!Ght @ the S.C....

SiMPSON DiD iT!

...we UPSET our BiGGEST RiVAL, the Central Dutch in a nervewracking, but AMAZiNG football game last Saturday!

It was a COLD, COLD day, but the STORM was HOT...we went ahead 17-7; Central fought back to tie it (thankfully we held 'em to only a field goal) & the game went in to OT. We scored on a 2nd down 25 yard pass. Then on Central's 2nd down, STORM senior Tim Stover INTERCEPTED it to WiN 24-17! The fact that it was AT CENTRAL made the win even better.

I wish I could see the replay! :D

This was the PERFECT end to a 7-3 season & PERFECT beginning to a new SiMPSON STORM DOMiNATiON..it was very special for the seniors, the NEW coaching staff, the 8 SPiRiTED shirtless guys cheering on a freezing day, & the entire SiMPSON community.

READ The Des Moines Register article here.
READ the SiMPSON press release here.
CHECK OUT photos from the game here.
APPLY to SiMPSON for FREE here.
Be a STORM athlete here.

Which of these SiMPSON May Term 2009 trips abroad would YOU like to join?

What is your favorite part of college life, or the thing you look forward to the most?

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Few Days with Minnesota Folk...

Last Sunday (although a LONG day), was a very successful one with a SIMPSON Open House I hosted in the Twin Cities & a van trip for students to visit campus overnight.

My husband's 30th birthday party @ Dave & Buster's Omaha was Saturday evening & then I flew to the Cities Sunday morning for the 12-3:00 event. We had approximately 17 prospective juniors & seniors attend, as well as parents, 2 current students, 2 parents of current students, & a guidance counselor. The conversation was wonderful & the food was, too! :) I also had the help of fellow admissions counselor, Jamie, who withstood being sick to come along!

Following the open house, we drove 8 (4 didn't show up) students in our 12-passenger vans down for an overnight visit at no cost to them (particularly nice with the cost of gas these days)! Yeah, it was interesting driving such a mammoth vehicle in 25+ mph wind gusts down I-35 - I'm pretty sure I burned calories with the muscle-usage on that one! :P Anyway, when we arrived in Indianola, we pigged out on pizza, cheese sticks & cinnamon dessert pizza (my fave!) at Godfather's, then they stayed with current students in a dorm, sorority, fraternity or apartment.

On Monday, each prospective student had breakfast & lunch, sat in on classes, toured our BEAUTiFUL campus, and met with professors & coaches. It's basically a "day in the life of a college student." The trip is open to both juniors & seniors. Overall, I think they enjoyed their time at SIMPSON, as they had great questions & planned on applying at the close of the day. Visits like these are SO important since the college search is so difficult & students will do best in college if they find one that really "fits". It was fun to have Kayla, one of my accepted seniors, keep me company in front on the way back - we talked a lot about other possible majors she might consider since she is loving her psychology class right now & the mission/service work trips we've each done. It was really nice & cool to receive a call from her mom the next day saying that she's ready to pack her bags & move in already! LOL. YAY!

Get more details on other upcoming SIMPSON van trips here.

We returned to the Twin Cities Monday evening around 7:00 & then I grabbed my usual YUMMY Bruschetta Chicken Pasta @ TGI Fridays, took the van back to the rental place, picked up a rental car & then FiNALLY landed at my hotel around 8:45ish only to find the hot tub was equal in temperature to the surface of the SUN, AARRGGHH! So much for that relaxing idea. :(

Tuesday & Wednesday were spent visiting high schools & working one college fair, then heading home...

I made an overnight pitstop at my Grandma & Grandpa's in Eagle Grove, IA, where I was treated to my favorite sandwiches! After dinner we watched the last <intense> Presidential Debate...it's so cute & funny to see them get fired up about that. I wish I could see them more often, but am SO grateful they're still both going strong in their mid-80's...hopefully I inherited that long-lasting-life gene. ;)


Yesterday I finished the drive home (about 3 1/2 hours) & worked on my newest Facebook account that I'll use for Admissions use since probably 90% of today's high school students are members! It's an easy tool for posting helpful links, SIMPSON events, updates, & photos, as well as communicate with them via Facebook messages & chat. Add me as your Facebook friend here! While I worked on that, I watched some of my recorded T.V. shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, Project Runway, & The Office)...I'm ALMOST caught up...

Tomorrow I'm RELAXiNG since I have a bad head cold (it feels like a nuclear bomb about to explode!) & then Sunday I'm off to a college fair in Lincoln, Nebraska...

P.S. The STORM Women's Basketball Team is ranked #20 in the preseason national DIII poll! SWEET SiXTEEN here we come again! Read the press release here.

No comments: