Current H!GhL!Ght @ the S.C....

SiMPSON DiD iT!

...we UPSET our BiGGEST RiVAL, the Central Dutch in a nervewracking, but AMAZiNG football game last Saturday!

It was a COLD, COLD day, but the STORM was HOT...we went ahead 17-7; Central fought back to tie it (thankfully we held 'em to only a field goal) & the game went in to OT. We scored on a 2nd down 25 yard pass. Then on Central's 2nd down, STORM senior Tim Stover INTERCEPTED it to WiN 24-17! The fact that it was AT CENTRAL made the win even better.

I wish I could see the replay! :D

This was the PERFECT end to a 7-3 season & PERFECT beginning to a new SiMPSON STORM DOMiNATiON..it was very special for the seniors, the NEW coaching staff, the 8 SPiRiTED shirtless guys cheering on a freezing day, & the entire SiMPSON community.

READ The Des Moines Register article here.
READ the SiMPSON press release here.
CHECK OUT photos from the game here.
APPLY to SiMPSON for FREE here.
Be a STORM athlete here.

Which of these SiMPSON May Term 2009 trips abroad would YOU like to join?

What is your favorite part of college life, or the thing you look forward to the most?

Sunday, November 2, 2008

My travels continued...

While I watch The Amazing Race, I thought I'd blog about my last week...

First of all, I'd be quite the HAPPY camper if the entire Iowa winter was above average temps like it has been!! Today it even got above 75 degrees on November 2nd, that's CrAzY, but AWESOME! The only bummer for that really warm day is that my SIMPSON Omaha Open House was this afternoon & that apparently was the last place people wanted to be an a beautiful day. :( Attendance wasn't good. Oh well, I've had LOTS of students stop by my Nebraska college fairs the past two Sundays. After the open house, my other "helpers" (Cassie, Greg '11, Sadie '09, Lindy '06, & Director of Academic Recruitment, Marty) all stopped for a quick bite to eat at one of my faves...Noodles & Company. :)


Last week's work travels were spent all over southern Minnesota...Mankato, Owatonna, Albert Lea, Austin, Grand Meadow, Spring Valley, Rochester, Goodhue, Randolph, Cannon Falls, Red Wing, Lewiston & Winona to be exact, LOL. To you, rural southern Minnesota may not sound so exciting, but I really enjoyed it! Why? Well, not only was the drive gorgeous (some along the Mighty Mississippi), but also much of it was FiNALLY a route that, after 5 1/2 years on the job, I HADN'T been on! :) A change of scenery is good.

Since much of the trip was visiting schools for the first time, I didn't see a lot of students, but I had good conversations with most of the ones I did see...AND with some guidance counselors. One senior, Kyle, particularly stood out in my mind because he was very interested in our political science program, a National Merit Commended Scholar, & looking at several colleges throughout the country. He said if he decides to major in political science, SIMPSON was definitely his 1st choice!

In Red Wing, I stayed at a bed & breakfast - The Moondance Inn, & it was SOOO PRETTY inside! It was built in 1874 by one of the first doctors in town...all the woodwork was original butternut, the whirlpool tub was very relaxing, & the homecooked breakfast was DELiSH! For the same cost as a hotel, heck YES! :) It's always nice to feel "at home" for awhile after being on the road for so many weeks. Here are some pics from the inn:



Also, Red Wing had a shoe in front of many businesses - all painted in a different design. (Since they're known for their Red Wing Shoes). Here's the one in front of Applebee's. This was one of the cuter ones I ran across - in the design of a boat since the city is on the river. :)

Speaking of Applebee's, I've always enjoyed seeing 'em decked out in local memorabilia! I guess that's why they call it the "Neighborhood Grill". ;)


Lake City's Lake Pepin was the prettiest area of my drive from Red Wing to Winona AND I learned that it is also the birthplace of waterskiing...so they say. :) Oh the things you learn along the road...


This week I'm visiting high schools in the Omaha area, VOTiNG on Tuesday, & then I have 10 prospective students coming on my Nebraska Van Trip Thursday-Friday...

Have a SUPER week everyone and
REMEMBER TO VOTE!

No comments: