Current H!GhL!Ght @ the S.C....

SiMPSON DiD iT!

...we UPSET our BiGGEST RiVAL, the Central Dutch in a nervewracking, but AMAZiNG football game last Saturday!

It was a COLD, COLD day, but the STORM was HOT...we went ahead 17-7; Central fought back to tie it (thankfully we held 'em to only a field goal) & the game went in to OT. We scored on a 2nd down 25 yard pass. Then on Central's 2nd down, STORM senior Tim Stover INTERCEPTED it to WiN 24-17! The fact that it was AT CENTRAL made the win even better.

I wish I could see the replay! :D

This was the PERFECT end to a 7-3 season & PERFECT beginning to a new SiMPSON STORM DOMiNATiON..it was very special for the seniors, the NEW coaching staff, the 8 SPiRiTED shirtless guys cheering on a freezing day, & the entire SiMPSON community.

READ The Des Moines Register article here.
READ the SiMPSON press release here.
CHECK OUT photos from the game here.
APPLY to SiMPSON for FREE here.
Be a STORM athlete here.

Which of these SiMPSON May Term 2009 trips abroad would YOU like to join?

What is your favorite part of college life, or the thing you look forward to the most?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Things to do before I die...

One of my all-time favorite quotes is, "Learn as if you were to live forever. Live as if you were to die tomorrow," by Gandhi. He was a brilliant man! I have taken this to heart & started a Tiff's Life To-Do List...living my life to the fullest & encouraging others to do the same. I believe setting goals really does motivate a person & it's okay to dream BIG... :) I have decided to share with you all the things I wish to do before I die & hope the list continues to grOW...



1.) Complete my education. I have started working on my Master's degree at Iowa State in Higher Education/Student Affairs with hope to also complete my Ed.D. (Educational Doctorate) researching effective & realistic ways to reform America's public schools.
** My inspiration? Former teacher, auther & education advocate, Jonathon Kozol. Where did I learn of Kozol? We were required to read one of his books, Savage Inequalities in one of my education courses here at Simpson. It was the most eye-opening experience I had ever encountered! Within this past year I also read his book, The Shame of the Nation. I only wish politicians would also read these...

2.) Write & illustrate a series of childrens books. I miss creating art & I enjoy writing, so why not combine the two interests?! :) FYI: It won't be any Berenstein Bears or Curious George! :(

3.) Go to the Summer Olympics. I love sports and the fact that most nations gather during this time for a few weeks of PEACE!

4.) Go to at least 1 of every major sports championship. I repeat, I love sports!! :0P

5.) Visit as many of the 1,000 Places to See Before I Die as I can. My parents gave me the book for Christmas & I've started highlight the places I've been. Thankfully, my traveling for work has helped me with this dream! Travel is important to me & I wish money didn't always have to be an obstacle! Oh yeah, and the Iowa State Fair is one of the places included in the book!

6.) Host a foster child. I want to help someone finally feel "at home." There are too many children in this world who are in need for me to pass up this opportunity...

7.) Walk a marathon. Yes, I said "walk." ...no, I'm not lazy, I just have terrible knees, asthma & zero tolerance for pain! :(
** My father & brother are my inspiration for this goal. My dad has run 7 marathons prior to a severe heart attack at the age of 47 years old. Since then he has also had stints & a defibrilator put in. This didn't stop him! He has completed 2 full RAGBRAI rides (bike ride across the state of Iowa) & continues to jog. Although it's scary, his perseverence is amazing! My brother has completed 2 marathons within 2 years with challenges - the first, his knee gave out in the 2nd mile & the second, his asthma took his breath away on mile 22. He never gave up!




8.) Learn to ballroom dance. I grew up dancing & figured maybe if I could no longer pirouette, I could ballroom dance when I'm an old woman...I refuse to polka or square dance! :0P

9.) Teach or counsel students overseas for at least 1 year. Prior to getting married, I planned on doing this...hopefully I still can someday!

10.) Go to a NY Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox game @ Yankee Stadium! I am a die hard Yankees fan, no, not a bandwagoner...it's inherited from my father. ...and we are very anti-BoSox!

11.) Be a "Price is Right," "Wheel of Fortune," or "Family Feud" contestant. Unfortunately I didn't make it in time to meet Bob Barker, but I have always loved that show - it's so exciting & I'm pretty much a master at every game...they'd regret not to calling me to "Come on down!" Sidenote: They missed their opportunity in hiring me as Barker's replacement...my "assistants" would have been called "Hummel's Hunks!"

12.) Coach a Little League baseball or softball team. I'm sure you've already noticed a recurring theme...sports. I grew up playing softball & watching my brother play ball year round, so I think it would be a ton of fun! I always love watching the Little League World Series on t.v. each year.

13.) See a space shuttle take off in person. It just doesn't "do it" watching it on t.v....

14.) ...

I would love to hear what is on your Life To-Do List...feel free to share it with me in a "comment!"

2 comments:

Dreams and Designs said...

Cool blog. I totally agree with 1,6,7,8 and 13. I would love to see the Grand Canyon, see the ocean, visit the northeast, write a novel, tour Europe, see a Grand Slam tennis match, watch the Tour de France, visit Africa, live in the mountains and meet CLive Owen!

Beth - Admissions Counselor said...

This blog is so 7 days ago!