Current H!GhL!Ght @ the S.C....

SiMPSON DiD iT!

...we UPSET our BiGGEST RiVAL, the Central Dutch in a nervewracking, but AMAZiNG football game last Saturday!

It was a COLD, COLD day, but the STORM was HOT...we went ahead 17-7; Central fought back to tie it (thankfully we held 'em to only a field goal) & the game went in to OT. We scored on a 2nd down 25 yard pass. Then on Central's 2nd down, STORM senior Tim Stover INTERCEPTED it to WiN 24-17! The fact that it was AT CENTRAL made the win even better.

I wish I could see the replay! :D

This was the PERFECT end to a 7-3 season & PERFECT beginning to a new SiMPSON STORM DOMiNATiON..it was very special for the seniors, the NEW coaching staff, the 8 SPiRiTED shirtless guys cheering on a freezing day, & the entire SiMPSON community.

READ The Des Moines Register article here.
READ the SiMPSON press release here.
CHECK OUT photos from the game here.
APPLY to SiMPSON for FREE here.
Be a STORM athlete here.

Which of these SiMPSON May Term 2009 trips abroad would YOU like to join?

What is your favorite part of college life, or the thing you look forward to the most?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

RAiN, a FUEL PUMP, a DONKEY...& a COLLEGE FAiR.

A weekend of cRaZiNeSs & stress...saved by chats with great students, a run-in with a dude on a donkey & beautiful driving weather. :)

Last Friday, I headed to campus (I work from home in Western Iowa) for a staff meeting & I almost didn't make it. My car completely shut off as I was driving through the parking lot & it definitely wasn't gonna restart! :( I was in the middle of the lane & I'm no Popeye, so I had to call the Admissions Office for some additional manpower to move it out of the way...all dressed up & in the rain. Thankfully it wasn't far from a curb; a no parking zone, but out of the way nonetheless. I wished I had a picture of everyone - the poor things - that's totally not in their job description! :P

During the staff meeting, in addition to the nuts 'n bolts of the usual "staff meeting", we had Del Shepherd from the newly created CVIL department (Center for Vocational & Integrative Learning) on campus come tell us about their opportunities for SIMPSON students. I can just say, "WOW, I WiSH all this was available when I was a student!" This reorganized program includes several career counseling services, information on vocational exploration, leadership experiences, internships, service/volunteer work & more...undecided major? HAVE NO FEAR, CVIL IS HERE! The staff even meets with every first year student during their Liberal Arts Seminar class.

At the end of the day, I had a brief brainstorming meeting with the SIMPSON Storm Chasers Bike Club while my dad came down to investigate the car issues...still, in the rain. Bad news: it wasn't the battery. So, I stayed @ my parents' house that night & planned on talking with the auto shop Saturday morning. Sure enough, they weren't open on the weekend...well, I had dropped my keys off in their key drop, so I wouldn't have to drive the 25 miles down that morning. AND, all my college fair stuff & computer was IN my car for Sunday. My dad & I had to break into my car through the weather stripping to get everything out. I had to rent a car & finally got home around 7:30 Saturday night...

*Random note*: It was nice looking @ Michael Phelps on SNL that night, but I still cringe watching non-actors host it! I sure miss the good ole laugh-out-loud days of SNL.

Aaannyyyhhooo, 2 hours driving Friday...2 hours driving Saturday...packed up & drove 2 1/2 hours further west to Grand Island, Nebraska on Sunday for my 1:00 college fair. Monday morning, I called the auto shop right away to have my car towed there & worked on...the dude called me back to say I needed a new fuel pump. Well, fuel pumps aren't exactly vending machine-cheap...these are the days where I wish I was best buddies with Donald Trump. The worst part about it is that just 3 weeks ago I had another LARGE amount of $ put into the car on something else. :( Okay, so it does have 185,000 miles on it, BUT these are the ONLY two problems I've ever had & I'm only 3 months from having the car paid off. I had a 5 1/2 hour drive ahead of me that day, including 5 high school visits (one of them 45 miles south of Lincoln). Thankfully the weather was gorgeous for a drive...

I got a kick out of this sign in Seward, Nebraska, LOL!

THEN, I stopped for an EnErGy break (chocolate & soda) @ the gas station & noticed a loaded donkey holding a dog on a leash & their "owner" talking with some folks...well, my curiosity peeked & sent me over to see what his mission was. He was obviously VERY passionate about what he was doing, because he talked forever. It turns out he's traveling to Seattle from Ohio, to meet Bill Gates about funding adaptive learning opportunities for children & the elderly. He figured he wouldn't have a chance if he showed up on his motorcycle, so he's attempting something more bizarre...riding a donkey named Moses! He was taking pictures along his journey & his website is http://www.milesofsmilesforever.com/


On a good note, I talked with some EXCELLENT students during the college fair & high school visits - both juniors & seniors. One gal had SIMPSON recommended to her from a friend who visited campus last month! She's #1 in her class of 273 & is also a volleyball player. RoCk On! Another one was filling out the application as I was packing up to take off! :)

Also, The STORM football team is 2-0 after a ViCTORY over Northwestern College in Minnesota this weekend & I already have 11 prospective students signed up for my upcoming Minnesota Van Trip!

Next Monday I'm off for Duluth, Minnesota & I'm VERY EXCiTED to enjoy some time outside near Lake Superior & the fall-colored trees!

No comments: