Current H!GhL!Ght @ the S.C....

SiMPSON DiD iT!

...we UPSET our BiGGEST RiVAL, the Central Dutch in a nervewracking, but AMAZiNG football game last Saturday!

It was a COLD, COLD day, but the STORM was HOT...we went ahead 17-7; Central fought back to tie it (thankfully we held 'em to only a field goal) & the game went in to OT. We scored on a 2nd down 25 yard pass. Then on Central's 2nd down, STORM senior Tim Stover INTERCEPTED it to WiN 24-17! The fact that it was AT CENTRAL made the win even better.

I wish I could see the replay! :D

This was the PERFECT end to a 7-3 season & PERFECT beginning to a new SiMPSON STORM DOMiNATiON..it was very special for the seniors, the NEW coaching staff, the 8 SPiRiTED shirtless guys cheering on a freezing day, & the entire SiMPSON community.

READ The Des Moines Register article here.
READ the SiMPSON press release here.
CHECK OUT photos from the game here.
APPLY to SiMPSON for FREE here.
Be a STORM athlete here.

Which of these SiMPSON May Term 2009 trips abroad would YOU like to join?

What is your favorite part of college life, or the thing you look forward to the most?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

you know you're in Rural America when...

...you drive 2 hours to a college fair & the only people you pass are other college reps!

...you visit a school with 120 students grades SEVEN through TWELVE!

Where in the world was I? ...among the prairielands of good ole northeast Nebraska. :)

FiRST, before the day even really began, I nearly suffered a heart attack @ the young age of 28 thanks to what seemed to be a step into Jurassic-friggin'-Park! I was driving to pick up my rental car & looked to the right to find this praying mantis the size of my HAND on the iNSiDE of the passenger window!

Exhibit AAAAHH!:


Exhibit Bummer!:

...no, not really, but close. I'm not afraid of bugs, but my gosh, I never knew those suckers were so BiG! Of course, I was driving our old beater-of-a-car, so I didn't have automatic windows to roll down & was too scared to get anywhere near it to do it manually. So, I just picked up the speed as much as I could (unfortunately this car starts to shake past 55mph)...

Anyway, I hopped in my rented Pontiac G6 in Omaha, picked up my usual McDonald's Cinnamon Melts & chocolate milk, then headed north for a 1:00 college fair in Norfolk, Nebraska. This was the kick-off of my travel season & I was more than ready for it! I thought it was gonna be a boring drive, but it ended up being a beautiful one - it's a good season to drive through the country...the roads were lined with hundreds of pretty yellow wild daisies & the gorgeous, green rolling hills & fields complimented the blue sky. I heart nature. :)

It was a successful college fair & I was reminded why I love what I do! For example, two friends came up that I immediately recognized from last year...it felt like it was yesterday! It was good to see them again - they're so sweet, good students, mature & fun to talk to. They're both interested in studying political science, which is a very strong program at SIMPSON (see the blog I wrote before this one). I anticipate they'll visit campus & apply soon!

Following the fair, I headed to the hotel to watch DAAA BEARS upset the Colts. WOOT! ...and I can't believe Tom Brady is out for the season - I bet there's a LOT of frustrated Fantasy Football players out there, LOL.

On my way back home Monday, I visited four high schools: Clarkson (the one w/ 120 students in grades 7-12), Columbus, Schuyler Central & Fremont. I met with a good group of 8 students at one of 'em & spoke with a senior, Amber, at another. It was awesome to see her smile & hear her say before I left how much she liked what I had to say about SIMPSON - she's pretty excited about applying & visiting during Music Weekend! I definitely had a lot to talk about with her since she wants to major in instrumental music education & performance, and wants to study abroad.

Next up...Grand Island, Nebraska College Fair this Sunday...hopefully MiNUS the mammoth-sized surprise bugs!

1 comment:

Dreams and Designs said...

Sick sick sick I HATE those things! I DO HATE bugs and these take the cake!